21.6.11

Where's the Alhamdulillah?

السلام عليكم
Have you ever encounter people, especially girls, who are already skinny but they claim themselves to be gigantic or overweight? Thanks to the widespread use of media which display glossy, sensationalist images of skeletal models looking ravishing, many young girls are experiencing a decline in their self-esteem. Sorry to say but I am extremely outraged or I get annoyed when these skinny girls who claim that "Oh, I'm so fat!" or "Ah I need to go on a diet, I look like an elephant!" & I'm like "Jeeez, what's your problem man, are you blind??!!" I must admit that I am not entirely against going on a diet or the need to be thin but going on a diet when you are already skinny, hey that is a problem. Can't they see that the producers are using the media to exploit or to influence consumer's choice by advertising their products by using models? They are trying to deceive you people. In real life, these models are not that stunning. It is the effect of their make-up, digital editting & technology that does miracle to their faces & bodies.

I don't know how to make myself understand why women or girls are not always thankful or satisfied with themselves. It brings me utter sadness & dismay when I see them crying over the fact that they could not be like the models on magazines & televisions. I mean, why do we have to suffer because of this? Yesterday, I managed to watch a documentary programme pertaining to the inhabitants of Ethiopia & I cannot deny the fact that they are living in abysmal, deplorable conditions. They don't even have proper drinking water or scrumptious food to indulge themselves. The children are beyond skinny, they are skeletal. If you juxtapose these children with girls in Singapore, I strongly believe that those children would want to be like us- healthy & filled with nutrition & vitamins. Nabi Muhammad S.A.W (pbuh) only ate dates & drank murky water for his meals (literally) He seldom get to eat meat. He did not get to enjoy delightful dishes but he did not even complain! What about us? We are blessed with abundant of food that Allah had given us but what do we do? Do we even thank Him? Sadly, no. We can even compain how we wish that we won't be given too much food so that we won't get fat. Ya Allah, forgive us, have mercy on us for You are the Most Forgiving. I hope all of us would deeply ponder over this & next time when we get to eat something, I hope we won't forget to say Alhamdulillah.

*Btw, this post is not targetted to anyone & if you feel insulted, I am truly sorry as I am only trying to express my emotions. Thank you.