8.12.11

Shameful or shameless?


Usually, I don't read the news posted on Stomp.sg as I find some of them really petty, trivial and unnecessary. However, while I was browsing the web in order to scout for news pertaining to problems that encompass Singapore, I came upon this article which really caught my attention. What really irks me is the fact that images of WOMEN are being seen blatantly displayed on the walls near to the men's urinals. Immediately, these thoughts came to my mind:
1. Do those images aim to cater the sexual desires of the men?
2. Does shame and embarrassment still exists?
3. Is it even necessary to put up those images? What are the benefits that can be derived from it?

Personally, I believe that this act is utterly appalling and degrading. Why is there a need to display pictures of women in TOILETS? I feel that toilets are suppose to act as a private space where one can do his/her personal, private matters in there. With this images being displayed boldly, they can actually desensitize oneself to shame. The very reason why toilets exist (apart from cleanliness matter) is because we do not want to see people doing their business outside in the open, publicly which can incite many outrage and contorversies. The existence of toilets also demonstrate how most people are aware that doing their private matters openly would humiliate them hence causing them to feel shameful. Shame is a good thing as it urges people to become modest. Now, whoever it was that came up with this 'brilliant' idea can actually desensitize and diminsih the element of shame in individuals (except those who are pious and of the good believers). No more will they feel the need to feel shy when doing their private business as everyday, they are ultimately going to be exposed and be 'seen' by the 'women' in the toilets.Maybe at first, they might feel shy and all that but as time flies, they get used to seeing those images and hence do not feel humiliated or shy anymore.

And heck, why are pictures of WOMEN being featured on walls of toilets? Being a female myself, I admit that I do feel offended. As we know, toilets are filthy places where bacteria and germs breed. Toilets act as symbols of dirt, thrash and foul. By openly displaying images of women in toilet. . .what does it suggest?? That women are filthy, dirty individuals? Bullshit. Where is the 'human rights' and 'women rights' advocates? Someone should really look into this matter and as women we must fight for our honour and dignity. Fortunately, this kind of designs are not seen in Singapore, YET. I totally disagree with the comment above. I hope Singapore will not invest money into making toilet designs that are silly, irrational and stupid. Please, this is for the sake of all the respectful women and men in the world.

Source: http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/this_urban_jungle/843578/hilarious_mens_restrooms_as_seen_from_around_the_world.html